Batsu Games getting stale, a little?

[quote:3ogp9ujd][i:3ogp9ujd]Originally posted by Chrisso[/i:3ogp9ujd]
Or recruits in the military :)

You know, nightly missions, driving around in tanks and trying weapons.[/quote:3ogp9ujd]

Too bad Japan doesn’t have an army otherwise that would be an interesting scenario (with fujiwara being the female drill instructor haha).

I agree the jokes are recycled to the point you know what’s going to happen once you see the first 2 secs (eg. chono slapping someone, the boss shaking hands and ignoring the last person) but its still funny.

Wish list for the next batsu game:

1. Bring back the mini-games or bets before the batsu game to determine who will participate. That way, it will be a REAL punishment. Part of the humour is that they don’t want to be there. There’s always that element of ‘revenge’ of the gaki member (Everyone was scared when Hamada was in the control room). The last 3 batsu games looked like they enjoyed it somewhat.

2. Have different people create the batsu so it doesn’t get stale. (which goes back to no. 1) They first few batsu games were directed by the different winners of the mini game and thus there was alot of difference in creativity from year to year. However, the last 3 years were directed by the producers of the show, hence the similarity of hospital/news/hotel. They really need 1-2 of the gaki members to work behind the scenes in the control room with their creativity. After all they are the comedians.

3. Change the punishment. Men in black costumes with rubber bats is not funny anymore (nor painful). Blowdarts was extremely funny but a little too sadistic. Maybe something inbetween like a slap in the face or eat a wasabi sushi. any suggestions?

Anyway, not complaining or anything, just hoping a great show become better.

The last 3 batsu games had repeated some gags, but I laughed too.

These days I’m watching old batsu games (with english subs). When I saw the hospital batsu, they talked in the break room that they are getting older and were talking if it would be a next year batsu game, because the punishments were tough.

They prove that a new batsu games were done, but a little lighter, more quiet (I think so).

For me the break room is one of the best parts, because they make laugh to each other. I think that the producers has to prepare more traps in the break room. Even they don’t find all the traps.

Also I think that it will be good for the next batsu that they change the batsu type. To not make the batsu boring, always been the same type and repeating gags, it will be great to interleave a 24 hour tag, Onsen batsu or Haunted hotel (or other building). With this the viewer will get variety and the batsu producers will get a full year to renew the traps and the plot.

What do you think?

• Sorry about my english ;) *

Man, can’t believe I got so many replies! No matter what happens, I will always enjoy whatever the gang ends up doing.

I believe that I was just spoiled with the high school batsu game since it had the most variety and it stayed true to its theme. Ok, and maybe since that’s where it all got started for me 3 years ago as my first encounter to the Gaki crew! :D (Thanks to Jimmy’s English lesson)

PS - Heipo joining the other 5 would be EPIC!!!

Of course they’re bound to get stale, just like every comedy format that doesn’t change it’s content radically every time.

I do feel the same about the last 2~3 games, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy watching the boys having fun, because I do.

The most boring one to me was the hospital one, because half of it was just people appearing that I didn’t know and I rarely laughed.
I agree with whoever said though that the Endou falling into the hole was extremely hilarious. I was just drinking something while it happened and spilled my drink. ahaha

I liked the news paper agency one and the police one was really good, but it did feel “similar”. I have only seen the first half hour of the new one so far, so I can’t judge yet. It would be cool though if they try something really new next year however, like being on a boat or whatever.

[quote:22g6x3kt][i:22g6x3kt]Originally posted by tako[/i:22g6x3kt]

Too bad Japan doesn’t have an army[/quote:22g6x3kt]

Of course they have.

I actually think that they’ve become better and better.
But you need to see the old ones to really get the new ones. As you’ve said, the running gags are very funny. I hated Heipo the first time I saw him because I hadn’t seen the old ones.

Also, they keep improving the traps in the break-room. The buttons just keeps getting funnier.

So I don’t mind if they keep doing it. And I think i’d rather see them get slapped 300 times than blowdart 30 times.

[quote:rhud0rfc][i:rhud0rfc]Originally posted by Nenmoth[/i:rhud0rfc]
So I don’t mind if they keep doing it. And I think i’d rather see them get slapped 300 times than blowdart 30 times.[/quote:rhud0rfc]

and i’m sure they would appreciate not getting anymore scars on their ass…

Getting stale? Sadly yes…
Compared to the Highschool Batsu:

They got in and then Boom, Boom, Boom one after another.
They didnt have that much free time.

I like the parts in the restrooms, but it was too much in the hotel game.

I hope the next batsu game will have more variety again :)

Though, every batsu game rocks! :drink:

The main point is to make the cast laugh, so they leave the stuff that made them laugh the most. I’m pretty sure the moment something will become unfunny they will stop using it.

They need new batsu game idea, like how about there a contest with each member have to make the rest of the guys laugh with in a 5 minute period, if fail thai kick. :clown:

[quote:3jsp623e][i:3jsp623e]Originally posted by Ap2000[/i:3jsp623e]

[quote:3jsp623e][i:3jsp623e]Originally posted by tako[/i:3jsp623e]

Too bad Japan doesn’t have an army[/quote:3jsp623e]

Of course they have.[/quote:3jsp623e]

Yup, they do have. They called JDF, often works in joint-opt for the UN if you watch the news. By the way, it’ll be a great idea. Just imagine Jimmy-san, Heipo in military. And perhaps a joint-opt training with the UN?

I also would personally like to see them return to a bet/decider format for the batsu games. But before they do, I would like to see the entire crew in a shinkansen or jet airline batsu. Would be epic to see them traveling all across Japan and getting slapped, every few hrs they’d be set up in a different city to be punished.

[quote:1d3d7vxf][i:1d3d7vxf]Originally posted by tako[/i:1d3d7vxf]

1. Change the punishment. Men in black costumes with rubber bats is not funny anymore (nor painful). Blowdarts was extremely funny but a little too sadistic. Maybe something inbetween like a slap in the face or eat a wasabi sushi. any suggestions?
    [/quote:1d3d7vxf]

i agree with this, the punishment is getting lighter so the team don’t look so scared to be beaten up, i know they’re getting old and all but still something in between would satisfy me although i really loved the darts :devil:

other than that the Show still great and funny.

[quote:361v2y56][i:361v2y56]Originally posted by tako[/i:361v2y56]
3. Change the punishment. Men in black costumes with rubber bats is not funny anymore (nor painful)…[/quote:361v2y56]
not painful would love to see u take 100-200+ smacks on the ass with it dont see what every1 is going on about sayin since the school 1 its gone downhill is that why many people picked hostpital and newspaper as their fav batsu game. the hospital was bigger budget and had so many original ideas from school. The spa 1ns all though were great seemed to lack discipline or any real structure the amount of times people laughed but wasnt out.

[quote:203cmtoq][i:203cmtoq]Originally posted by TouchDown[/i:203cmtoq]
For me the break room is one of the best parts, because they make laugh to each other. I think that the producers has to prepare more traps in the break room. Even they don’t find all the traps.[/quote:203cmtoq] In this point I go along with you - I also liked the break room parts the most, especially in Hospital, but watching the Hotel Batsu makes me want to see something different than just the break room. Sitting in this room the whole time isn’t really entertaining, and seeing how they point at each other making the others laugh isn’t always funny.

I actually enjoyed having all 5 of them in the last Batsu Games, so I wouldn’t change that, in my opinion. I still think it’s a pity that Tanaka and Matsumoto weren’t in the Police Batsu, for example.

Changing the directors might be a good idea, but could also lead to something completely different, which I think would be a pity. But actually I think they’re realising that on their owns already that they need some new jokes. After all they get feedback, so I don’t worry about that.

Well, the thing is, they’ve been doing batsu games for around 20 years now, and those 24hs games for 10 years. It may be somewhat recent they getting popular and widely watched, but if you look at it from their eyes, its been a while already. And also, in their own eyes, downtown are getting quite old for this kind of stuff, they comment it sometimes. I love the batsu games and don’t want to see it finished, i just think that eventually, and naturally, those long batsu games will come to an end. To be replaced by new ideas of course. Anyway, anything coming from downtown will be worth watching.

Or they will be done with new people. Quote from Matsumoto at the end of Hotelman batsu game “Next year we’ll have Arashi participate instead”.

it is true that the game is getting stale… because of the repetitiveness. but it still does have moments. i would really love to see them do another 24hr tag, though. but with their age, it would just be terrible. i recalled hamada complaining about getting his ass smacked for laughing at his age, so i would guess a baton pass to some younger comedians would make it more fresh.

I think they are getting stale in a way… just in the fact that it is sort of a cookie cutter routine they’ve gotten into… the content of the routine changes but they pretty much take the same steps to get from point a to b.

On the other hand I think that they are adding different things every year or changing things that maybe didn’t work so well in the previous year. Like adding the Po Channel was a new way to get Heipo in, and of course the Onishi videos are always amazing and funny no matter what he’s doing.

Certain elements should stay every year, it’s fun to see them come back and still make the guys laugh in an entirely different way from the year before. But maybe they could cut down on the time in the standard employee room which has been in use since the police batsu game. I understand why they use that device; to give the guys a place to eat and take a break somewhat since what we see is only a sliver of the entire footage. But they could use another vehicle to gather everyone together for things like when they had the performers come into the break room this year… “ooo batteries!”…

So in short, yeah some things could change to make it a little different and feel fresh, but I think having an entire year in between games is why it’s still so funny to me, even if it is similar.

It also seems this year that maybe the budget ran a little short? It seemed like they only have a select few rooms to shoot in, where as in the police, hospital and newspaper games they had the run of entire building and fields to use, or at least it gave off the appearance they did, which made it more real. This year seemed like they went to a working hotel and borrowed a few rooms they weren’t using.

Anyway that’s my two cents.

[quote:323aw7nv][i:323aw7nv]Originally posted by gojinki[/i:323aw7nv]
Or they will be done with new people. Quote from Matsumoto at the end of Hotelman batsu game “Next year we’ll have Arashi participate instead”.[/quote:323aw7nv]

I think there is a high chance of this happening and Downtown will, for the first time, will be in the command center calling the shots.

I’d much rather have Black Mayonnaise, Ameagari, or Fujiwara join Cocorico and Yamasaki!

Oooo, better yet, every year have a different owarai duo!

[quote:2y5aclt4][i:2y5aclt4]Originally posted by MegaJbomb[/i:2y5aclt4]

[quote:2y5aclt4][i:2y5aclt4]Originally posted by gojinki[/i:2y5aclt4]
Or they will be done with new people. Quote from Matsumoto at the end of Hotelman batsu game “Next year we’ll have Arashi participate instead”.[/quote:2y5aclt4]

I think there is a high chance of this happening and Downtown will, for the first time, will be in the command center calling the shots.

I’d much rather have Black Mayonnaise, Ameagari, or Fujiwara join Cocorico and Yamasaki!

Oooo, better yet, every year have a different owarai duo![/quote:2y5aclt4]

That would be awesome!! I loved the year of the hot springs batsu when Hamada was in the control room, he was completely ruthless.

On another note I finally figured out what bothered me about this years batsu… they didn’t really do anything hotel men would do, only a little here and there. As nurses and policemen they ran the gambit, as newspaper men not so much and even less as hotel men. Need to get back to them doing the job they are in, not just looking the part.