Episode #1224 2014.09.28 - Kiki Cheese

Have I told you how awesome you are, lately, Soudou? Cause you rock an insane amount my American brain cannot comprehend. As always, I appreciate it immensely.

Great job, I’m currently working on it(done halfway through) and can probably get about 80% done by the looks of it.

[quote="Cloyd":32rcxrpb]Have I told you how awesome you are, lately, Soudou? Cause you rock an insane amount my American brain cannot comprehend. As always, I appreciate it immensely.[/quote:32rcxrpb]

Aw thank you very much for such kind feedback, comments like that make me smile :) You’re very welcome. I really wanna see this episode subbed too so it’s for my benefit as well :D

[quote="jhivesubs":32rcxrpb]Great job, I’m currently working on it(done halfway through) and can probably get about 80% done by the looks of it.[/quote:32rcxrpb]

Awesome, great to hear! That was fast! Maybe others can help with the last 20% if necessary. Best of luck with it. Looking forward to it, I was chuckling even when timing it and without understanding what they were saying so it’ll be great to finally understand. :rofl:

I’m giving back, after watching many english translated Gaki episodes

Since nobody was posted a full translated version, Here is a "Google translate" version of the written file. It’s rough and the context isn’t always 100% but
it could be used as a guide to help with this episode, and works in Aegisub and VLC, so you can watch, or edit this at your leisure. It’s Still missing the intro titles, pop-ups, and some of the text in japanese was not entered for a few pieces of audio, where they apparently were not not understood, and "??" is used as the place holder.

As another tool for better trans I uploaded the comparison Japanese text and Google Translate side-by-side for better translation in the future for this episode.

Thanks, hope it helps.

Just as an example I translated this episode with Microsoft translator.
It translates a little diffrently than Google translate, in case someone wants to check out the diffrences. Still need some expert to look at it tho :)

I could probably have cleaned up the meaning alot, and I can do that if someone is interested, altho I have almost no other knowledge than watching gaki and the 2 files here that are automatically translated, but I can try :)

[quote="gakifan2015":2tmyy3e8]It’s Still missing the intro titles, pop-ups, and some of the text in japanese was not entered for a few pieces of audio, where they apparently were not not understood, and "??" is used as the place holder.[/quote:2tmyy3e8]

Yeah pop-up titles unfortunately weren’t in the original Japanese transcript because it’s just an aid for deaf people who can see those anyway. You can screengrab and use Capture2Text to get those but often pop-ups repeat stuff you already know (or don’t care about :lol: ) .

The transcript also omitted some minor side comment stuff, likely not important but I timed it with that placeholder just in case someone could pick it up by ear. It also omits on-screen subtitles (the colored text the show adds on screen) but you can use Capture2Text to screengrab those (demonstrated in the video I linked below).

If anyone is interested you can get Japanese [url=http://o.x0.com/m/?s=%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%81%AE%E3%82%AC%E3%82%AD%E3%81%AE%E4%BD%BF%E3%81%84%E3%82%84%E3%81%82%E3%82%89%E3%81%B8%E3%82%93%E3%81%A7:2tmyy3e8]transcripts for Gaki episodes on this site[/url:2tmyy3e8]. If someone has the inclination or time they could create timed subtitle files, like I did for Kiki Cheese, for a variety of Gaki episodes for a translator to work with. If anyone needs help using any tools required I’m sure people can help on the forum here. Discussion thread for the transcripts here: http://gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5578

[quote="fendel":2tmyy3e8]Just as an example I translated this episode with Microsoft translator.[/quote:2tmyy3e8]

Interesting, is that much different to Bing translator (which is also owned by Microsoft)?

http://www.bing.com/translator/

When I do Amateur Subs I use a combination of Google Translate, Bing and Weblio to fine-tune the garbledness. I posted a video here showing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4q_J8yBya0

Personally I just go through all that trouble for videos that are unlikely to get a proper translation though, Kiki is very likely to get picked up. Jhivesubs mentioned they completed 50% back when they had the time, the batsu is just 1 and a bit parts away from completion so perhaps Team Gaki or TofuPandaSubs can finish it off after they’re free from that.

I have it at about 90% done as my vocab increases daily… I’ve been chipping away at it a couple of lines a week -_-.
I’ve looked into the google/bing translate version and it’s god awful. All those nuances and references lost. I wouldn’t trust bing or google translate for any help in j>e translation of sentences, unless it’s a word or two… I use [url=http://www.romajidesu.com/translator/:19diy75v]romaji[/url:19diy75v] for such things if I really have to, probably the best resource for such things and gives me the option to look up each word in the sentence with a click. Once I have it about 98%-100% done, I’ll put em up.

Thanks guys for trying to sub this without actual knowledge of the japanese language.

It’s kind of a mess but you still made it understandable and we always look for more Kiki. This is one of my favourite series and I’m now able to understand more of this episode than with a raw :D

[quote="jhivesubs":1fr7yow2]I use [url=http://www.romajidesu.com/translator/:1fr7yow2]romaji[/url:1fr7yow2] for such things if I really have to.[/quote:1fr7yow2]

You don’t need it but Weblio is worth checking out too, seems to use its own English translation algorithm (rather than feeding off Google’s) and has a pretty comprehensive reference dictionary. The target of the site is for Japanese people learning English, but it’s easy to navigate.

Out of interest, here’s a one line comparison between the various tools:[hide:1fr7yow2]Japanese:
Endo: ちょっと俺もうホント当てたいな〜行きます!私が食べたのはマザー牧場チーズです!
[b:1fr7yow2]Google Translate (Whole Document Translation):[/b:1fr7yow2]
Endo: Hey I will go ~ wanna hit me anymore really! It is Mother Farm cheese I ate!
[b:1fr7yow2]Google Translate (Single Line Translation [/b:1fr7yow2]):
Endo: Hey I will go - I want against me anymore Really! It is Mother Farm cheese I ate!
[b:1fr7yow2]Microsoft:[/b:1fr7yow2]
Endo: Hey I now really want to hit a-go ! I ate is the mother Ranch cheese !
[b:1fr7yow2]Microsoft's Bing:[/b:1fr7yow2]
Endo: Hey me again I want to hit a-go! I ate is the mother Ranch cheese!
[b:1fr7yow2]Weblio:[/b:1fr7yow2]
Endo: I go to … which I already want to really win a little! It is Mother Farm cheese that I ate!

Combining the above plus Weblio's reference dictionary (which gave the example "shot" for "hit") and some human tweaking:
Endo: Hey, I just really wanna give this one a shot, here I go! What I ate was, Mother Farm cheese![/hide:1fr7yow2]

Naturally there’s no replacement for a fully human translation (especially with humour), so happy to hear you’re still working on it jhivesubs, take your time, I’m sure the end result will be great. :)