[fan project]Australian batsu game 2011 - 24 Hour Tag

[quote="iniquiti":15g2jtx4]Impressive progress so far though, even if production hasn’t been made yet. I’ve grown tired of people remaking Silent Library. I’m actually curious at how this will turn out. Good luck and have fun.[/quote:15g2jtx4]

Thanks mate. I’m the same, seen a lot of silent library re-makes. Haven’t seen a proper 24 hour batsu re-made though. Dont want to do it half-assed so yeah, that why the actual filming date is about 18 weeks away. so we can try to foresee and solve any problems.

~Nik Snow~

i thought of including game like the spy batsu the angry dog, with food written on the bones hahaha because i have them lol :P

[quote="joker":idgprqfc]i thought of including game like the spy batsu the angry dog, with food written on the bones hahaha because i have them lol :P[/quote:idgprqfc]

A game challenge to win their dinner is a great idea. I played the angry dog game when i was in japan and it was a little easy once you figure out the trick. After a lot of running around they would probably be shaky and nervous so it might work. Will work something out ^^.

On a side note, a position change has occurred. We are looking for a ‘host’ (Fujiwara) to be on film and delivering food and messages etc to the players. If you live in the Toowoomba/Brisbane area and would like to apply, please let us know via e-mail SouthernX2011@hotmail.com all applicants will be interviewed and must be able to get to Toowoomba in a timely manner if required. (For discussions, filming day etc.)

~Nik Snow~

[quote="Gospel":3sjk8rqc]On a side note, a position change has occurred. We are looking for a ‘host’ (Fujiwara) to be on film and delivering food and messages etc to the players. If you live in the Toowoomba/Brisbane area and would like to apply, please let us know via e-mail SouthernX@hotmail.com all applicants will be interviewed and must be able to get to Toowoomba in a timely manner if required. (For discussions, filming day etc.)

~Nik Snow~[/quote:3sjk8rqc]

I think stuttering or fumbling their own words [b:3sjk8rqc]SHOULD[/b:3sjk8rqc] be required for a good host. Just like Fujiwara.

[quote="Leo-Kun":39plp9jf][quote="Gospel":39plp9jf]On a side note, a position change has occurred. We are looking for a ‘host’ (Fujiwara) to be on film and delivering food and messages etc to the players. If you live in the Toowoomba/Brisbane area and would like to apply, please let us know via e-mail SouthernX@hotmail.com all applicants will be interviewed and must be able to get to Toowoomba in a timely manner if required. (For discussions, filming day etc.)

~Nik Snow~[/quote:39plp9jf]

I think stuttering or fumbling their own words [b:39plp9jf]SHOULD[/b:39plp9jf] be required for a good host. Just like Fujiwara.[/quote:39plp9jf]
I would love to be the host/Fujiwara.
Will post a link on the Facebook page!
"watch me squeeze my breasts!"

[quote="matsumoto outo":2np31t63][quote="Leo-Kun":2np31t63][quote="Gospel":2np31t63]On a side note, a position change has occurred. We are looking for a ‘host’ (Fujiwara) to be on film and delivering food and messages etc to the players. If you live in the Toowoomba/Brisbane area and would like to apply, please let us know via e-mail SouthernX@hotmail.com all applicants will be interviewed and must be able to get to Toowoomba in a timely manner if required. (For discussions, filming day etc.)

~Nik Snow~[/quote:2np31t63]

I think stuttering or fumbling their own words [b:2np31t63]SHOULD[/b:2np31t63] be required for a good host. Just like Fujiwara.[/quote:2np31t63]
I would love to be the host/Fujiwara.
Will post a link on the Facebook page!
"watch me squeeze my breasts!"[/quote:2np31t63]

Send us an e-mail matsumoto. I’ll give you some skype info and we can interview you via that if you like.

That goes out to all applicants. e-mail SouthernX2011@hotmail.com with some info and we will get in touch. (I may have accidentally posted it without the 2011 part before. I apologise for this, will go back and edit them all to the correct e-mail.)

I really am sorry for this mistake, if you could please re-send any e-mails to the proper address i’d be very thankful.

~Nik Snow~

The only thing I don’t like about 24h Tag is :
The Tagger appears, you run, you get caught, and you get punished.
And it’s mostly always like that.

So may be if some kind of escapement could be used from time to time. And obviously, there would be something that offers the possibility for taggers to "disable" that escapement system.

Obviously, once you get caught, you have to be punished, you can’t resist.

[quote="Nighty":304lv4rw]The only thing I don’t like about 24h Tag is :
The Tagger appears, you run, you get caught, and you get punished.
And it’s mostly always like that.

So may be if some kind of escapement could be used from time to time. And obviously, there would be something that offers the possibility for taggers to "disable" that escapement system.

Obviously, once you get caught, you have to be punished, you can’t resist.[/quote:304lv4rw]

Now you are thinking like us ^^. This won’t be an ordinary game of tag, even if it is 24 hour. We can assume the players we pick will have seen the gaki version and will have a general idea of what to expect. So we definitely intend to mix it up a little. But you will see some of your old favourites too. It will have our own spin added to it and some genuinely Aussie things in there too. It’s Gaki No Tsukai’s… But it’s also ours.

~Nik Snow~

P.S. Thank you for the comment, even negative comments can be effective in making our production a success. And even adding your own idea about how to lift the monotony was excellent. You get my first ever thanks ^^.
Not to put a downer on everyone else ^^ I’m loving everyone’s feedback. You guys have no idea how much you are all pushing Dan and myself on to work harder. Please keep it up!! In fact, thanking you all!!! ;)

Hey, don’t forget that [i:375yrp0z]maybe[/i:375yrp0z] the possible "targets" might read this thread. That’s what I think.

Who are the lucky ones, Gospel? Are you in the mayhem too or just pulling the strings?

PS: If there are too many copies of Silent Library, I think I’m gonna start a new trend. I’m planning of making a version of Kiki Series. If everything go according with the plans, I’ll open a new thread, just like this one.

[quote="Leo-Kun":1654osdb]Hey, don’t forget that [i:1654osdb]maybe[/i:1654osdb] the possible "targets" might read this thread. That’s what I think.

Who are the lucky ones, Gospel? Are you in the mayhem too or just pulling the strings?

PS: If there are too many copies of Silent Library, I think I’m gonna start a new trend. I’m planning of making a version of Kiki Series. If everything go according with the plans, I’ll open a new thread, just like this one.[/quote:1654osdb]

Yeah I know, thats why we are neither confirming nor denying anything thats going to be happening.
Just like gaki no tsukai, Dan and I will be pulling the strings in this one. We have agreed on 4 players for the game and 3 have been selected. The last spot is down to a short list. But if everything goes well then maybe next time maybe we will be contestants while one or more of the players host ^^.
I myself have considered doing a kiki thing or absolutely tasty thing as well. They are excellent ideas and A LOT easier than a 24 hour remake =P. If everything goes well we were even thinking into branching into a smaller, regular show like that with more 24 hour episodes once a year. Just like gaki :D

We have done our first vlog, meet the directors, so you get a chance to see who we are and our origins with the show and our general plans for 24 hour tag. Check it out on our YouTube channel! We are checking out the gymnasium this week and well post more vlogs and pics for your viewing pleasure.
[url:1654osdb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlNf9vbmnnA[/url:1654osdb]

(Enomot, Thanks for the PM. I can’t reply for some reason, it’s going to a debug screen whenever I try to send a PM. Please try the e-mail address SouthernX2011@hotmail.com and i’ll be in touch with things. I’d definately like to speak with you :) )

~Nik Snow~

Hey hey, Aussie here too (but Melbourne haha). Just want to show support to the idea. I think it’s great that you guys are going to such great length and go for 24-hour batsu game properly. I have a few things that I’d like to comment on (just my pure opinion, so no offense to other people if they feel differently) that might be something to consider if they haven’t come up before.

1. While I understand that the viewers and participants would know about Gaki No Tsukai and familiar with it, it can be difficult to pull of Japanese humor for us amateurs (non-comedians). So there need to be a real balance between Japanese humor and maybe Aussie/Western humor too so you can strike the sweet spot. Just because certain things are funny in the original batsu game doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing will be funny in this version. You guys might even want to ask random people on the street (or maybe your parents, neighbors, etc) whether they think certain things are funny or not. I don’t know how it is in Brisbane, if it’s as multicultural as Melbourne, then it’s great because you’d get people from all sort of different cultural background and see their different sense of humor.

2. Previews/vlogs (or any other form of videos) would be very much welcome. I think part of why the original batsu game is funny to me is because I sort of get to know the characters (Downtown, Yamasaki, and Cocorico) and their characteristics (e.g.: Hamada being sadist, Matsumoto often tried to make the others laugh but backfired and him ended up laughing himself, Tanaka falling down, etc). So hopefully us viewers would get a chance to get to know you guys, both the ones who pulled the strings and those who participated too. That way there’s some sort of connection between us and you guys.

3. I’m a little conflicted on this myself, but I wonder whether girls should be participants too or not. I don’t mean to be discriminating, just a point to make. The nature of the 24-hour tag is very demanding physically, so it might be unfair for girls if they aren’t fit. So I understand if the participants are all guys. But at the same time, I’ve always wondered whether girls would react differently in batsu game than guys. This actually also applies to the original batsu game to me, especially since most of the batsu games aren’t as physical as the 24-hour tag. I think having a female participant can be quite interesting to see.

Hey Rappa. You bring up some very good points, all of which we have considered at length which has led to some discussions about equal rights and all those touchy topics but i’ll bring you up to date on all of your points:

1. (Excellent point) Getting the right splice of comedy mix of japanese batsu and western is going to be a challenge. But we are already discussing a lot about introducing western and Australian comedy into it and it is coming along quite well. One of the things we have considered in depth is how the players will react with each other. We don’t have the whole ‘respect to the elders’ thing to the extent Japan has and the original production by Gaki played on that a lot. So we will be definitely be getting as much feedback as possible about what to keep Japanese and where to implement western humour.

2. I attribute a lot of Gaki’s success to the audience really getting to know the comedians. We all love Downtown, Yama-chan and Cocorico for their quirks and familiarity to their audience. We intend to aim for a similar effect by introducing ourselves and our players to the audience via vlogs before the show is filmed and aired. Dan and I will be releasing vlog updates as frequently as we can with show updates and progress. We feel an introduction vlog for each of our players is essential as well so the audience can at least understand a little bit about them and learn the rest by watching the final production. We are hoping the players will grow together (as they will not know each other before entering the gym) along with the audience watching. This should hopefully build bonds between the players, Dan and myself and you as the audience.

3. We did consider getting a female player and at lengthy discussion (not just between Dan and I but with others as well) we decided to go with an all male cast. We do not consider ourselves gender biased but we do have to keep in mind exactly what the audience will see upon release of the final production. A number of people may find it offensive seeing a female getting physically punished on television and we definitely don’t want to offend anyone or portray that image as acceptable to impressionable minds. We did have willing female applicants and we did consider every aspect before making our decision. Personally we would like to see exactly what would happen as well, if the male players would defend the females or not, things like that would have made for very interesting television. But in the end, we have decided against it. On a side note, there may or may not be female taggers ;) you’ll just have to watch to find out~

We appreciate your time in expressing your thoughts and concerns and the time it took to write such a lengthy post. You were very detailed and I hope my responses are satisfactory and give you more to think about. Please post any more questions/suggestions you may have anytime.

~Nik Snow~

– 19.05.2011, 22:20 –

UPDATE: We have found our location for the set of 24 Hour Tag Australia. We made a video in our excitement and we hope you like what you see.

SouthernX2011 24 Hour Tag: Ground Zero
We were more than satisfied with what we found once inside the hall. It’s massive and it has given us plenty of ideas!!!
[url:2dw9k8z6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=264EMfllaLQ[/url:2dw9k8z6]

We hope you enjoy it and it makes you as excited as us to see the final product. We couldn’t have asked for a more perfect place for our location!!! Please comment on any opinions, thoughts and questions you may have!!!

~Nik Snow~

Thanks for the great answers. I think you guys are going to do a good job since I feel that we have the same approach that the 24-hour tag is in the end simply a concept, and as cliche as this may sound, it’s your project so you have to "make it your own" and not just copy the original. I’m definitely looking forward to the end result and wish you guys all the best.

Are all 4 of the participants strangers to one another? I’m under the impression that they are judging from your post before, and if they are indeed strangers, I’m curious to see if it would make the game better (strangers bonding together in suffering the 24-hour tag haha) or not (in case there is no connection between the players, or if they aren’t "outgoing" enough to spend 24 hours with strangers) because we all know how the 5 people in Gaki No Tsukai definitely have connection with each other. I hope for the best of course.

Regarding the female participants, it’s probably already final decision by you guys anyway to not include them (which I totally understand since I’m not sure myself whether you should include women or not) so I’m not trying to force you guys to change your mind. But maaaaaybe if the main worry is mainly physical punishment on female being perceived as "not the right thing to do", an alternative solution to this issue is to introduce female participants as extra players (can range from only 1 woman or maybe even up to 4 women to make it 4 men and 4 women) only for limited period of time (an hour would be good?) where during that time, none of the taggers would have physical punishments included (I’m sure you guys already have non-physical punishments planned anyway). But once again, if the decision is already final, it’s totally fine with me. Just bringing up a point in case it hasn’t been considered yet in the past.

It is definitely a very delicate issue when it comes to being somewhat politically correct. If we think about it, some of the things that happened in batsu games can be seen as offensive from the western culture, but we might turn a blind eye to it and just say "aaah it’s normal in Japan" and we just let it slide. It’s probably a double-standard that can work against you guys since you definitely have a tougher crowd and there are a lot more things to consider. But with good planning, I’m sure you guys can pull it off.

Last but not least for now, I would suggest for more "prank" taggers. They can be as simple as something good happening to the tagged participant, or even the power to pass the next punishment to someone else next time they get tagged, or turning the tagged into the tagger for 1 minute and they can pass the punishment if they can tag someone else, or whatever else you guys can come up with. Lots of possibilities and opportunities.

Good luck and all the best!

EDIT: Just saw the videos, and they’re great!

It’s great to see you getting really into this Rappa. Wish you lived a little closer, you’d definitely be a good addition to our team ^^. You seem to see things almost exactly as we do. All of your ideas really push the limits and convert the game into one of our own, which is exactly what we are going for here. Everything you have expressed are things that have been talked about between myself and Dan. Some topics you have brought up have been discussed in depth and some barely touched but you are really keeping us on track. It’s very easy to touch a subject, get distracted and completely forget about it. So thanks for everything~ Please comment any time you like!

Again i’ll respond to your suggestions:

1: Yes, they are all strangers. We thought it might be better if they had established relationships like the members of Gaki. However, as Gaki was already established before they made Oni Gokko the audience was already used to them and it worked very well. Because we are all unknowns, we felt we needed a way to establish ourselves with the audience and give everyone a chance to get to know us. So if our players don’t know each other, spending 24 hours locked in a gym with each other, they will open up about themselves and then the audience would really grow with us. It is a bit scary going in blind, as you said, they may not work well together or be shy and quiet. This is why we are being so selective about our cast members and hopefully everything will go smoothly and be very entertaining.

2: Allowing (one or more) females to participate for short durations is a topic lightly discussed between us. It is an option just as a social experiment for possible future productions of course. No final decision has been discussed on ‘temporary’ players but would certainly make an interesting twist to the game.

3: We may even come across things that we add to our production that we think are ok because of our society but may rub the wrong way with many others out there. This is a very real possibility but it is one we have been trying to take into consideration. Careful planning is the key but lets face it, in the end, someone will always be offended by something or other.

4: We have about 25 different ‘taggers’ decided right now and adding to that list every day. Our aim is to not let the players get used to punishments and always keeping them guessing. Mind games are a very important factor of our production and our taggers will keep them guessing. We have some very interesting ideas that we think you are going to love ;)

Thanks again Rappa and everyone! Please keep them coming. I’ll hopefully be able to make a ‘preview’ video of the production over the coming weeks and we will be adding more vlogs whenever we can. So keep checking back~

~Nik Snow~

(Enomot: Still can’t reply to PM’s but I understand, please keep in touch. Good luck with your projects and we’ll keep you informed on ours. We don’t want to distract you from your own works and look forward to you getting more involved when you are more available.)

– 24.05.2011, 22:47 –

UPDATE: Dan and I have decided to create a weekly vlog for everyone to follow our progress on the project. Posting them to our Youtube Channel
SouthernX2011

Weekly Update 1: [url:254b94da]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fbttii9OM[/url:254b94da]

– 31.05.2011, 21:56 –

Weekly Update 2: [url:254b94da]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo-KSL-aANc[/url:254b94da]

– 03.06.2011, 18:35 –

EDIT: Enomot I still can’t reply to your PM’s. It’s great to see you are so keen on this and we are looking forward to your help. Please add us to FB if you have it and we can talk more privately in there. Our audio and lighting tests will likely be the first weekend in july but we will definitely be posting results. But yeah, if we can get in touch in a way we can reply with more detail that would be awesome. I’m Nikolai Snow on FB or nubcat on skype. please add me ^^.

– 07.06.2011, 22:11 –

Weekly Update 3: That caused blood.
[url:254b94da]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEVxaZkdhk[/url:254b94da]

I’m going to bump this because your updates don’t bump up the post if followed by a post posted by the same member.

[quote="iniquiti":2mzh2ulq]I’m going to bump this because your updates don’t bump up the post if followed by a post posted by the same member.[/quote:2mzh2ulq]

hehe yeah i noticed ^^. thanks Iniquiti <3

Anytime :mm:

Oh totally missed out on the vlogs. Good to see the project is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work, guys!

[quote="Rappa":36k96jqd]Oh totally missed out on the vlogs. Good to see the project is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work, guys![/quote:36k96jqd]

Yeah we are still working hard. So make sure you keep checking back. We are planning to release a meet the players videos soon. also in a couple of weeks we have our audio, video and lighting checks at the location. and we have started working on a trailer for the whole thing.

~Nik Snow~

– 14.06.2011, 18:49 –

Hey all. Added a new update. I’m editing the first post so it has ALL the links to our video’s and posting the latest ones to my recent edit. Played around with Adobe Premier some more, hope you like it. Meet the Players are coming soon!

UPDATE: Weekly Update 4: Bring on the Pain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwFN3zNnF1s

Bah bah bumpity bump