Has The Recent Batsu Games Become Redundant?

[quote:2vu9ux1m]But of course I still love their manzai, those never changed[/quote:2vu9ux1m]

I wonder if any of those will become availible in full english subtitles? Thanks for your comment it’s a good observation that the games may or have become some what of a francise ;)

[quote="karn1911":1pck0k0n]I think the biggest pitfall of this series is that it is obviously no longer a punishment game. The gang are expected to laugh at all skits and the slaps (apart from Thai kick) are no deterrent to laughing.
Having removed the punishment aspect of the game it just becomes a string of skits that are hit or miss. I would say a certain amount of comedic value has been lost due to that.[/quote:1pck0k0n]

I’m agree with you.
The batsu games become a succession of skits… i don’t now why they still looking for a theme (newpaper, hotelman…) because they almost do nothing with the job, airport is a good example. In 10 years the bastu game will be a scene, they enter, they sit, they watch all the skits and 24 hours later they get slapped…

For me there is 2 categories of batsu game, before newspaper and after… Now it looks like they MUST do a batsu game… ok guys we start with a bus ride (don’t forget to use deluxe here) … Jimmy appear here… heipo there… Yamazaki get slapped here… tanaka get is thai kick here… and… Comedians gathering here (matsumoto did this… hamada said that…) comedians groupe that experiment batsu game there …hmmmmmmm… we miss something… oh yeah itao here… the (not) scary part here and to finish a big bang…

The best part of the airport batsu game was for me the long extra footage… Because it’s only (or almost) the parts where there are talking to each other and laugh by themselves… In other words the best part of a batsu game that disappears slowly and slowly…

[quote="Akiner":3exz5t0j][quote="karn1911":3exz5t0j]I think the biggest pitfall of this series is that it is obviously no longer a punishment game. The gang are expected to laugh at all skits and the slaps (apart from Thai kick) are no deterrent to laughing.
Having removed the punishment aspect of the game it just becomes a string of skits that are hit or miss. I would say a certain amount of comedic value has been lost due to that.[/quote:3exz5t0j]

I’m agree with you.
The batsu games become a succession of skits… i don’t now why they still looking for a theme (newpaper, hotelman…) because they almost do nothing with the job, airport is a good example. In 10 years the bastu game will be a scene, they enter, they sit, they watch all the skits and 24 hours later they get slapped…

For me there is 2 categories of batsu game, before newspaper and after… Now it looks like they MUST do a batsu game… ok guys we start with a bus ride (don’t forget to use deluxe here) … Jimmy appear here… heipo there… Yamazaki get slapped here… tanaka get is thai kick here… and… Comedians gathering here (matsumoto did this… hamada said that…) comedians groupe that experiment batsu game there …hmmmmmmm… we miss something… oh yeah itao here… the (not) scary part here and to finish a big bang…

The best part of the airport batsu game was for me the [b:3exz5t0j][i:3exz5t0j][color=#FF0000:3exz5t0j]long extra footage[/color:3exz5t0j][/i:3exz5t0j][/b:3exz5t0j]… Because it’s only (or almost) the parts where there are talking to each other and laugh by themselves… In other words the best part of a batsu game that disappears slowly and slowly…[/quote:3exz5t0j]

Perhaps if there is enough extra footage from all games that will be the next batsu trying not to laugh while watching at your past faults ;)

I think they changed the punishment bats too so they’re not as painful. Also the all-nighters became drawn out.

relevant: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=898

[quote="Akiner":3lf70vma][quote="karn1911":3lf70vma]I think the biggest pitfall of this series is that it is obviously no longer a punishment game. The gang are expected to laugh at all skits and the slaps (apart from Thai kick) are no deterrent to laughing.
Having removed the punishment aspect of the game it just becomes a string of skits that are hit or miss. I would say a certain amount of comedic value has been lost due to that.[/quote:3lf70vma]

I’m agree with you.

The best part of the airport batsu game was for me the long extra footage… Because it’s only (or almost) the parts where there are talking to each other and laugh by themselves… In other words the best part of a batsu game that disappears slowly and slowly…[/quote:3lf70vma]

I feel the same way. While they are still funny, they’re less intense than compared to the older ones. And it feels like they’re having waaaaay more skits where they won’t call out anyone until they’re done. (mostly the theater bits, e.g. Star Wars, Rocky) And save for a few skits, I enjoy the parts when they were left alone to sabotage each other a lot more. There’s just more unpredictability in there for everyone involved.

It was kinda why I was happy with the Spy Batsu when they brought back the Tag Batsu, and they spent a full hour on it. Took them a lot of energy just to survive through that.

[quote:2zpapf0e]And save for a few skits, I enjoy the parts when they were left alone to sabotage each other a lot more. There’s just more unpredictability in there for everyone involved.[/quote:2zpapf0e]

Good observation, that is how I felt watching the later ones where each challenged each other with nothing but their own wits at hand ;)

– 01.04.2012, 15:34 –

[quote="iniquiti":2zpapf0e]relevant: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=898[/quote:2zpapf0e]

Perhaps a moderator can merge both of these topics :)

Maybe it’s language problem : /

I agree with the part that in the last batsu games, the things that the guys do all the day don’t have relation with the batsu game theme topic, and that takes off maybe what you expect for the game; and I think that a lot of segments are so much predictable, repetitive and kinda unfunny, at least for me (like the segment of the guys with loincloths, I always try to skip that part). But, as a learner of the japanese language, its still funny for me :). In first place, because they always use Kansai-ben, one amazing dialect of the japanese that I have learned since I discovered the gaki no tsukai programs. I don’t know why, but, the way a kansai-ben speaker talks, its so funny and different from the standard japanese, that I love them xD

One important point that a I have read from a lot of guys is the thing about the "inside jokes", and I must agree with that. A lot of them have to do with culture, anime, manga, dramas or artists from years ago, or even japanese puns (one example is the Jimmy skits, when someone asks him for some abbreviation in english, and he anwsers with what he undertands that could be in japanese) and of course, things like the round table conversations. As a guy that understands japanese, not too much but yeah haha, maybe its a little bit difficult to catch all the "inside jokes" that appear, actually when an artist or something unknown for me appears with the gaki, I search information about them; and when I get the parody or the reason of the impression, in most of the cases, its really funny xD

[quote="Kronekodow":ith8ubmp]kansai-ben[/quote:ith8ubmp]

[video:ith8ubmp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_oNb9bGhbo&feature=relmfu[/video:ith8ubmp]

Your right the dialog is rather fast and direct and ever so cheerful ;)

Since this is a re-curring topic I’m just going to copypaste what I wrote last time:

Of course they’re bound to get stale, just like every comedy format that doesn’t change it’s content radically every time.

I do feel the same about the last 2~3 games, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy watching the boys having fun, because I do.

The most boring one to me was the hospital one, because half of it was just people appearing that I didn’t know and I rarely laughed.
I agree with whoever said though that the Endou falling into the hole was extremely hilarious. I was just drinking something while it happened and spilled my drink. ahaha

I liked the news paper agency one and the police one was really good, but it did feel "similar". I have only seen the first half hour of the new one so far, so I can’t judge yet. It would be cool though if they try something really new next year however, like being on a boat or whatever.

To add to this; the airport batsu wasn’t as formulaic as the last two, yet it was probably the worst and most unfunny one so far.

Tbh, I don’t know what they could do to "save" the format. Obviously I’m not talking from a viewership point, but from a comedic point of view.

The biggest sting is i think that i don’t get the cameo’s that happened a lot, the most laughs seems to come from a famous actor or singer from Japan being in the game and do certain silly stuff to make them laugh.

I would laugh hard as well if suddenly like uh… Jack Nicholson came into the batsu game and act like a sissy.
Secondly i don’t think the quality drops i think the fun drops because i have watched it to much, my friend who never saw a batsu game was watching the Spy batsy game and laughed he’s ass off all the time while i smiled a few times and thats about it (I still enjoyed watching it though!)
Thirdly like said before its not really a punishment, i love how the crew reacts when they are on the edge of having a real punishment like a thai kick or something els that would hurt other then a spank on the ass.
And fourthly they are all becoming a bit old in my opinion and so they are starting to repeat the old jokes more and more, the tag game was the funniest of everything that gaki has ever done but something like that can’t be done anymore since well. They all become a bit old, i would give anything if they do something like the tag game or perhaps a large hide-n-seek game again.

Well that was my opinion :bow:

The spy Batsu was pretty funny for me, I enjoyed it but it did lack some amazing laughs.

The recent Airport was a bit of a bummer for me, ofcourse it was hilarious but was nothing like some of the old batsu games.

I sort of felt the same way this year. Though I love the Batsu games and the hard work that went into translating them, it did seem less funny in comparison to the previous games. They’ve also been doing the batsu games like the Airport/Spy/etc since 1999. The guys are starting to get older and you know its getting harder for them to do certain things. I’d like to see them split it up a little like Yugawara, or the Police Station again. Where some of them are punished while the rest get to get in on the punishing. For Yamasaki’s sake, I’d like to see him in control and finally sit one out, lol

For me the funniest aspect of the game is their struggle to not laugh, its not the jokes themselves that much (though it definitely helps a lot), I think they are giving it up to easy in the most recent batsu games and the punishment doesn’t look that scary, hence making the whole thing a little dull. If they improve on this for the next years, raise the stakes when it comes to punishments so they have a stronger incentive for not laughing, I think it can be as funny as it once was. Its how I see it, not sure if you guys think the same.

i beg to differ, unless u want accident in the batsu games like serious injury… all the casts are getting older and older, their body is not the same as they are 10 years ago… if you grow up watching them, you will still enjoy their show not missing a slight excitement at all…

– 19.05.2012, 10:26 –

@Vaga the show is intended for Japanese audience and not foreigner, even most of us subbers dont understand those cameo

[quote="joker":3horgvpt]i beg to differ, unless u want accident in the batsu games like serious injury… all the casts are getting older and older, their body is not the same as they are 10 years ago… if you grow up watching them, you will still enjoy their show not missing a slight excitement at all…

@Vaga the show is intended for Japanese audience and not foreigner, even most of us subbers dont understand those cameo[/quote:3horgvpt]

this.

the cast members are getting old year by year, so i guess health and safety is the two main priority. and not to forget, the show is catered to the Japanese audience and thus, it can’t be helped if foreigners, like me myself, are unable to understand their jokes. still, it allows me to slowly understand the entertainment concept in Japan.

i personally like the drawer jokes :D tho, i wish they can come out with fresh and unexpected ideas in their following Batsu Games.

one more reason to add is that, matsumoto and hamada are getting much older as year goes by, their body cannot take the stress from work at all, despite matsumoto work out in gym and sometime you can see that hamada appear in the gaki show with tape on his head, thats the sign of him having headache on that day

I will propose that you guys treat gaki members like your friend or family, care about them physically as they are human too.
We are fans, not consumer, we don’t have the right complaint when we don’t contribute anything to gaki actual production at all.

[quote="joker":3olcwst9]i beg to differ, unless u want accident in the batsu games like serious injury… all the casts are getting older and older, their body is not the same as they are 10 years ago… if you grow up watching them, you will still enjoy their show not missing a slight excitement at all…

@Vaga the show is intended for Japanese audience and not foreigner, even most of us subbers dont understand those cameo[/quote:3olcwst9]

Yeah thats why i said it was my opinion, obviously its target audience is Japan only

Jeez!! What’s the matter with you guys! |(
I disagree with anyone on here that think the Batsu games have gone down hill, I personally think the new Batsu games are just as good & enjoyable as the older Batsu games! You should just be thankful that the Gaki Team are still making shows for us to watch!
At least they are better than the stuff they show on British & American TV these days!

People just enjoy discussing this kind of thing
Even if they don’t like the new batsu games as much as the older ones, it doesn’t necessarily mean they 100% hate them, or hate Gaki no Tsukai now

I have nothing else to add, except that Ap2000’s suggestion of having the next no-laughing game on a boat is genius.