looking for typesetters

Like soudou said it’s really not a requirement to know any Japanese if you want to typeset, especially if you’re pre-typesetting (typesetting before the translation, which is what we do at Team Gaki), since you’ll have to go through the file again anyways after translation to check for any errors (in moving text for example, or in text that’s slowly being revealed etc.) and can then check if there’s lines that are too long etc.

It probably comes in more handy in typesetting after translation, since you could mach the text easier and things like that. It would most likely also come in handy if you’re doing karaoke for songs (like Anime intros and the like) since in karaoke-mode you’re trying to match the text to the words/syllables of the song (depending on how fast the lyrics are), but karaoke is not that common in gaki related stuff as far as I’ve seen (which I’m thankfull for, since some karaoke things, like effects, can be quite complex).

Also concernig the "matching the font of the text onscreen": That’s only really possible if you hardsub, since with softsubs you would have to include the font that people would then have to install - otherwise the player would give an error message and use the standard style (some players don’t give out an error message - like VLC as far as I’m aware - but they will still revert to the standard style if a font is not installed on the system). That’s one of the reasons why finding soft-subbed Anime is quite hard, since unless you install the fonts things like the karaoke wouldn’t look as good with the Arial font.

So, mickstar813, have you found typesetter to help you out with Kiki Series?

I just hope nobody is working on Kiki Castella.

[quote="Sacro":3lq9f95w]Also concernig the "matching the font of the text onscreen": That’s only really possible if you hardsub, since with softsubs you would have to include the font that people would then have to install - otherwise the player would give an error message and use the standard style (some players don’t give out an error message - like VLC as far as I’m aware - but they will still revert to the standard style if a font is not installed on the system). That’s one of the reasons why finding soft-subbed Anime is quite hard, since unless you install the fonts things like the karaoke wouldn’t look as good with the Arial font.[/quote:3lq9f95w]

Can you just include it inside the MKV file as an attachment? Then the player will use it.

I just opened a random anime episode and it has 14 attached .ttf files! xD

[quote="Hidensetsu":2bion4lk]I just hope nobody is working on Kiki Castella.[/quote:2bion4lk]

Does this mean that you are working on it? That is a great episode…

TofuPanda just announced that they are starting on Kiki canned tuna and mizu yokan - though I’m not sure if these are for your translations mickstar, or if they have a translator? They asked me to translate for them (had to remind them I’m not fluent at all! :lol: ), which made me think maybe they are just typesetting at the moment… Anyway, whatever the case I hope everyone gets their clips done with success!

Since Kiki episodes are being discussed let me give you a little disclosure so we don’t have too much overlap: I have completely typeset Canned Tuna and it’s in translation, I have Mizu Yokan typset 50% complete and I have Castella at about 80% complete. Sorry if any of you were working on those, I mean you still can but just be aware that it’s also in the works somewhere else.

@Knudow: Hmm you might be onto something there, but I’m not really knowledgeable enough about MKV’s to confirm that. I might look into that more in the future, but at the moment I’d rather have more releases than fancy text haha.

It’s kinda sad that two teams are working at the same two Kiki episodes :( But hey, it’s better than no episodes at all! :)

[quote="Sacro":m4f5ex0r]Since Kiki episodes are being discussed let me give you a little disclosure so we don’t have too much overlap: I have completely typeset Canned Tuna and it’s in translation, I have Mizu Yokan typset 50% complete and I have Castella at about 80% complete. Sorry if any of you were working on those, I mean you still can but just be aware that it’s also in the works somewhere else.

@Knudow: Hmm you might be onto something there, but I’m not really knowledgeable enough about MKV’s to confirm that. I might look into that more in the future, but at the moment I’d rather have more releases than fancy text haha.[/quote:m4f5ex0r]

I sent this quote to Kazuma from Tofupanda just so he’s aware of it anyway!

[quote="Sacro":29xzqd6w]Since Kiki episodes are being discussed let me give you a little disclosure so we don’t have too much overlap: I have completely typeset Canned Tuna and it’s in translation, I have Mizu Yokan typset 50% complete and I have Castella at about 80% complete. Sorry if any of you were working on those, I mean you still can but just be aware that it’s also in the works somewhere else.[/quote:29xzqd6w]

Woah thats great. :o
By "Castella at about 80% complete" do you mean typesetting/timing. Hidensetsu is trying to translate it so maybe they can use your timed/typeset file. :nod:

[quote="soudou":1426a9b8]By "Castella at about 80% complete" do you mean typesetting/timing. Hidensetsu is trying to translate it so maybe they can use your timed/typeset file. :nod:[/quote:1426a9b8]
Yes I’m talking about typeset status. I don’t really have anything against them using my file, since mickstar currently doesn’t really have time and hasn’t been online in some time, and our other translator, who is currently working on Canned Tuna, also doesn’t have much time.

[quote="ratmangaki":34bt24j3][quote="Hidensetsu":34bt24j3]I just hope nobody is working on Kiki Castella.[/quote:34bt24j3]
Does this mean that you are working on it? That is a great episode…
[/quote:34bt24j3]
Well, it’s good that so many people are working on episodes. The more subs the better, right?
I’m currently 1/3 through the Kiki Castella subtitle.

I just heard back from Kazuma, he thanked me and will find other episodes - so tuna and mizu yokan aren’t doubled up anymore 8)

Please do Kiki Jam ! <3

Hello, i have been watching gaki for a long time, subbed . And i would like to help by typesetting, im new to typesetting but i have a lot of time to help.