OT: Paprika Live Action

Title is self-explanatory.

Wolfgang Petersen, who directed Poseidon (2006), The Neverending Story, and Troy is going to direct a remake of one of the most spectacular animated movie there is out there in the universe by one of the best creator.

[i:2eek5vaa]"Although he plans to make the story a little more accessible for a mainstream audience, he compares the story to The Matrix in its scope. "[/i:2eek5vaa]
[url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-25/wolfgang-petersen-develops-live-action-paprika-film:2eek5vaa]More Sources Here[/url:2eek5vaa] and [url=http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/45310219.html:2eek5vaa]Here[/url:2eek5vaa]

I don’t know about you but, despite the promise of making sure the live-action will still stay as true to the original version, I raged a bit.

…Okay. A lot.

Hopefully, this will be a large-budget film as I can’t for my life imagine a live-action version will equal the amount of fantabulous the original has. And godly visual effects, please.

Anyone else (not as) excited?

We’ve come a long way in terms of what’s possible in cinema using special effects, but I’m skeptical of how the finished product will hold up to the animated version.

But more that that, the thing that REALLY bothers me is the sentence [i:24jvuorq]“Although he plans to make the story a little more accessible for a mainstream audience…”[/i:24jvuorq] :huh: This scares me.

That is exactly why I specifically highlighted that sentence. I fear for it.

In my opinion making a live-action movie of Paprika just isn’t right.
Why don’t people get that animated stories sometimes just [u:171craiu]have[/u:171craiu] to be animated? I think Paprika is the perfect example for such a movie.

Ugh, no, I don’t even want to think about it.

All live action films so far have been utterly shit so my expectations are veeery close to non-existant.

I’m with you guys against this live-action Paprika and I tried to think of other anime-turned-live-action I’ve seen that could redeem the awful reputation of remakes but then I remembered that 10 minutes beginning of Dragonball and I knew all redemption was a lie.

But then again, majority of my offense goes to anime-turned-American remake.

inception?

I agree too… American live action movies of anime always ends up as shit to be honest.
Although, the only anime I’ve watched a couple of episode from is Dragon Ball (I’ve read all the books).

[quote:314tevvp][i:314tevvp]Originally posted by discoma[/i:314tevvp]
inception?[/quote:314tevvp]
What about it?

The whole diving into dreams is Paprika-like, is it not?

[quote:aezaksex][i:aezaksex]Originally posted by discoma[/i:aezaksex]
The whole diving into dreams is Paprika-like, is it not?[/quote:aezaksex]

Oh, I don’t know:)
I’m just against the american remakes:P

I actually have Paprika on dvd somewhere… should I watch it even tho I’m no fan of anime at all? (I’m not saying that anime is bad, but it has just never been of any interest to me… maybe because my little brother is watching cartoon all day…)

[quote:2cfhvup0][i:2cfhvup0]Originally posted by Outlaws0023[/i:2cfhvup0]

[quote:2cfhvup0][i:2cfhvup0]Originally posted by discoma[/i:2cfhvup0]
The whole diving into dreams is Paprika-like, is it not?[/quote:2cfhvup0]

Oh, I don’t know:)
I’m just against the american remakes:P

I actually have Paprika on dvd somewhere… should I watch it even tho I’m no fan of anime at all? (I’m not saying that anime is bad, but it has just never been of any interest to me… maybe because my little brother is watching cartoon all day…)[/quote:2cfhvup0]

I feel the same way whenever I hear about american/hollywood remakes of any movie. :\

Personally, I loved the anime. One of my Top Ten Favorites, so I definitely recommend watching it.

Satoshi Kon (director) and Susumu Hirasawa (composer) are just amazing together.

PS: I just remembered that The Cell (1999(ish) w/Jennifer Lopez) has that diving into dreams/subconscious plot as well.

Battle Angel and Cowboy Bebop are also on its way.

The lack of original stories in Hollywood is reaching an unbearable level. That’s a fact.
Audiences are getting tired of this constant Cut&Paste, but it seems this trend will go on for a while.

Many people may apply the term ‘cinematographic’ to a Ghibli Studio film because the characters seem to act, that you forget for a while that you are watching an animated movie. The sensation is unique, and the concept was created from zero: blank papers and pencils.

The complexity of some animes have also attracted the eyes of Hollywood. I find the whole work of Satoshi Kon very fascinating: Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, that jewel called Tokyo Godfathers… I found Paranoia Agent and Paprika more personal and abstract than the rest of them, but great overall. It goes together with the crazy music from Susumu Hirasawa, making an interesting puzzle.

That’s the concept. They were created by a japanese raised in a japanese culture where the presence of high-tech multimedia is incredibly present in society, where there is a worship towards ‘idols’, where the homeless term differs from its american meaning of it. So can a remake be any better than that? Economical benefits? Trying to approach new audiences? Making a big business with the merchandising? Turning an animated masterpiece into a childish and simple-minded cliché? Bad idea.

Petersen already made [i:1hucj92c]The Neverending Story[/i:1hucj92c] for a mainstream audience. It was a book talking about the book, and you only get that feeling by reading it.

Turning Son Goku into an american high school student is perhaps the most extreme case we’ve witnessed… [b:1hucj92c]yet[/b:1hucj92c].

Oh god, DBZ: Evolution blew me away with it’s stupidity. I stopped watching it as soon as I heard white Goku say ‘I just wanna get the girls’.

Don’t get me started on the american live action version of Tekken.

Wasn’t there a live-action version of DoA too?