It's official, I'm moving to Japan in Feb

[quote:399bquuh][i:399bquuh]Originally posted by Kyon[/i:399bquuh]
trust me, it’s definitely a priority, but i gotta be able to talk to them in order to pick them up :). And as a side note, I was reading some Americans in Japan forums and people knew a bunch of teachers(japanese not gaijins) who ended up marrying their students lol. They are my heroes, at least until I have a kid of my own :P[/quote:399bquuh]

Yah, and according to a study, young Japanese girls love dating older guys:

[CENTER][img:399bquuh]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/3871787878_423035c4dd_o.jpg[/img:399bquuh][/CENTER]

[url:399bquuh]http://www.japansugoi.com/wordpress/young-japanese-women-prefer-to-date-older-guys/[/url:399bquuh]

great picture, I’ll post a similar one when it happens to me :P BUt that’s kind of weird that all the envelopes are the same, that means that they all wrote their ‘confession’ notes together. I would figure females are too jealous to do something like that.

your link is broken btw

[quote:2juw5ke2]your link is broken btw[/quote:2juw5ke2]

Hmm no it is not :D

Just in case, here’s the article:

According to the latest Japanese survey, middle aged men in their 40s are enjoying great popularity amongst younger Japanese women, with some 40% of hot Japanese babes preferring older men whilst 20% of these only being interested in men at least 10 years older than them and 38.2% wanted older men up to 9 years their senior. About a quarter of the women surveyed (26.5%) did not have any preference regarding age.

When asked about actual dating experience, 48.4% of young women had dated older men, whilst 60.4% of men in their forties reported experience dating younger women.

Commentators speculate several reasons such as 1) the “manly aura” of older men as compared to the effete younger generations 2) the Japanese pay structure vastly favors older men and since women start becoming conscious of marriage after the age of 25 they start to become realistic about romance and having a family.

[quote:3my3xi17][i:3my3xi17]Originally posted by Kanzaki[/i:3my3xi17]

[quote:3my3xi17]

PS: btw, I LOVE ha~do gei :D[/quote:3my3xi17][/quote:3my3xi17]

Forgot to mention: nice demonstration of correct romanji usage show-off :P (you even used the dash instead of a second ‘a’ since it would be in katakana /clap) i would’ve done the same but feared that people wouldn’t be able to understand it.

[quote:1fvi5f1g][i:1fvi5f1g]Originally posted by Kyon[/i:1fvi5f1g]

[quote:1fvi5f1g][i:1fvi5f1g]Originally posted by Kanzaki[/i:1fvi5f1g]

[quote:1fvi5f1g]

PS: btw, I LOVE ha~do gei :D[/quote:1fvi5f1g]

Forgot to mention: nice demonstration of correct romanji usage show-off :P (you even used the dash instead of a second ‘a’ since it would be in katakana /clap) i would’ve done the same but feared that people wouldn’t be able to understand it.[/quote:1fvi5f1g][/quote:1fvi5f1g]

Sankyu~ :] :D

Sorry, spoke too soon, I rarely use romanji when writing Japanese so I didn’t catch it. A friend just pointed out that you actually just mixed katakana and romanji together in the part I praised you for :confused: should just be haado gei, but, meh, who cares.

[quote:prc66kiz][i:prc66kiz]Originally posted by Kyon[/i:prc66kiz]
Sorry, spoke too soon, I rarely use romanji when writing Japanese so I didn’t catch it. A friend just pointed out that you actually just mixed katakana and romanji together in the part I praised you for :confused: should just be haado gei, but, meh, who cares.[/quote:prc66kiz]

Well it is originally written:

ハード

as we know: ハ = ha

Writing ha~do for ハード seems more correct to me than haado which would correspond to ハアド.

But just like you said: nobody cares :D

EDIT: Oh dear. Seems like there’s a problem with Asian characters on the forum.

yeah i noticed that when I tried to post the kanji for nihon once. Anyways I think I know what you’re saying: The reason it’s written ‘ha’~‘do’ and not ‘ha’‘a’‘do’ is because it’s written in katakana, katakana is used for foreign words (and also for putting emphasis on Japanese words like italics) In katakana instead of doing a double vowel they use the dash.

[i:31ghk5nl]Yes. And haado would correspond to “ha” “a” “do” in katakana. ha~do seems more suitable for “ha” “-” “do” in katakana.

Anyway ;)[/i:31ghk5nl]

Lol, did you edit my post accidentally instead of reply? you moderators and your godly powers. What I was saying was haado would correspond to ha~do in katakana because they use the dash instead of using the double vowel. So when you’re coverting back you have to use the double vowel again because the dash doesn’t exist in romanji.

My family lives in the Tokyo area so if you’re interested in making buddies faster, my cousin knows a lot of people ;)

female buddies…? :P

That’d be amazing! Thanks a ton for the offer. Now the question is when to take you up on the offer. I was kind of looking forward to the whole being alone in a strange place idea. Also, it’s easier to learn Japanese if I don’t have many opportunities to use English. But being alone would get old kind of quickly… and it would be nice to have people to hang out with. I hope the offer is open ended, it may be a week, a month or a couple months before I take you up on it. hmmmm… decisions, decisions…

Well, English isn’t entirely the first language on that side of my family as they are actual Japanese. My cousin has taken a liking to learning English because I’ve been trying to get her to come visit me and my aunt has the habit of speaking English to me to practice the language :P

oh that’s awesome, even better than I expected, I’ll have to talk to you about it as my move approaches.

If they can’t really speak English, does that mean that you can speak Japanese?

Unfortunately, no I can’t speak it fluently since I’m not Japanese myself. My cousin has offered kindly to teach me but, well, I live in Canada and she lives all the way in Japan. I can understand a bit of it but when it comes to actually translating the words into English then it’s difficult for me. I have been meaning to take up actual lessons in order to go there and see my relatives again but… wow, are the fees ever so expensive here! ;]

[quote:1qmfn6q6][i:1qmfn6q6]Originally posted by Kyon[/i:1qmfn6q6]
yeah i noticed that when I tried to post the kanji for nihon once. Anyways I think I know what you’re saying: The reason it’s written ‘ha’~‘do’ and not ‘ha’‘a’‘do’ is because it’s written in katakana, katakana is used for foreign words (and also for putting emphasis on Japanese words like italics) In katakana instead of doing a double vowel they use the dash.

[i:1qmfn6q6]Yes. And haado would correspond to “ha” “a” “do” in katakana. ha~do seems more suitable for “ha” “-” “do” in katakana.

Anyway ;)[/i:1qmfn6q6]

Lol, did you edit my post accidentally instead of reply? you moderators and your godly powers. What I was saying was haado would correspond to ha~do in katakana because they use the dash instead of using the double vowel. So when you’re coverting back you have to use the double vowel again because the dash doesn’t exist in romanji.[/quote:1qmfn6q6]

Yah, seems like I edited instead of replying, sorry :D

[quote:22amlyev][i:22amlyev]Originally posted by iniquiti[/i:22amlyev]
Unfortunately, no I can’t speak it fluently since I’m not Japanese myself. My cousin has offered kindly to teach me but, well, I live in Canada and she lives all the way in Japan. I can understand a bit of it but when it comes to actually translating the words into English then it’s difficult for me. I have been meaning to take up actual lessons in order to go there and see my relatives again but… wow, are the fees ever so expensive here! ;][/quote:22amlyev]

Structured classes are paced way too slow if you have prior Japanese knowledge. If you are self motivated enough, self teaching is the way to go… with the help of a few resources that I can tell you about. There is a site where you can IM chat with native speakers (a little intimidating to do at first) and another one that let’s you write journals that get corrected by native speakers. Of course the best way is immersion like what I’m doing :P

Ew, you live in Canada? Don’t you guys buy milk in bags instead of cartons? I can’t get over that. But in all seriousness, Canada has way better relations with Japan. You can stay 180 days vs. 90 for Americans (with just a passport and no visa) You can get a work holiday visa, and your driver licence transfers. Stupid reciprocal agreements that America is to greedy to enter into to.

[quote:cd9sx3nc][i:cd9sx3nc]Originally posted by Kyon[/i:cd9sx3nc]
Structured classes are paced way too slow if you have prior Japanese knowledge. If you are self motivated enough, self teaching is the way to go… with the help of a few resources that I can tell you about. There is a site where you can IM chat with native speakers (a little intimidating to do at first) and another one that let’s you write journals that get corrected by native speakers. Of course the best way is immersion like what I’m doing :P

Ew, you live in Canada? Don’t you guys buy milk in bags instead of cartons? I can’t get over that. But in all seriousness, Canada has way better relations with Japan. You can stay 180 days vs. 90 for Americans (with just a passport and no visa) You can get a work holiday visa, and your driver licence transfers. Stupid reciprocal agreements that America is to greedy to enter into to.[/quote:cd9sx3nc]

Yeah, I’ve been trying for a self-teaching part but I have this thing with procrastinating. I talk to my cousin in Japan online from time to time so she teaches me as we go by.

Yep, Canada. Lol. Not all stores sell milk in plastic bags BUT we do have them :P I prefer buying the carton instead. Canada likes to stay in the shadows of conflicts :P

So all those rumors are true! If I were president, I’d go to war just for that. It’d be easy to convince the public:

“psst, hey, guess what?”
“what”
“Canadians buy milk in bags”
“eeehh!? ew, let’s go to war”
“okay”

Lol! Milk in bags have this weird freshness to it. They’re also environmentally friendly.

Canada isn’t the only one that carry milk bags. They’re common in India, China, South Africa, Poland, and Israel. How it’s more common to pick only Canada as a popular known fact, I don’t know :P

Those countries are likely drinking goats milk or monkey milk or some other weird mammal that I have no intention of tasting their milk. So weird milk and weird container… I can accept that. But in Canada’s case… I think war is the only solution.

It does make sense. I hardly see milk bags at all in the dairy section when I go grocery shopping and don’t care for it nor was I even conscious that they (still) existed here until you reminded me.