Official Batsu 2015 Discussion Thread

Last year, (and prevous year too, as I remember) the news was posted in late november (http://natalie.mu/owarai/news/104025). I guess it was filmed just days ago. There’s still at least a month to go.

Beside, they looks old and tired recently, especial Hamada.

[quote="solari":3gtruap7][quote="Knudow":3gtruap7]Aren’t the batsu games recorded months before?

I watched High School the other day and Matsumoto says something like "Wha! It’s past midnight… today is my birthday!" and he was born september 8![/quote:3gtruap7]
The earlier No-laughing batsu games were not aired on New year’s eve. No-laughing high school aired in october 2005. The no-laughing series only started being aired on 31 December starting with the No-laughing Police. 6 hours were given starting from Hotelman.
I think episodes are usually filmed a month or so before the airdate.[/quote:3gtruap7]

Oh, I see. I checked wikipedia and some batsu games had the air date, but the high school one only had the year, and the next ones had the year only too, so I assumed that they where all aired on new year’s eve.

It’s just harder to laugh at staged gags, especially when they get repeated each year. I find it funnier when the members act spontaneous when they’re left to their own devises- which from my impression they have more time to do when the production is smaller and more focused around themselves interacting with each other. These bigger productions make it feel like they’re just on autopilot while they get pulled through a series of acts, and all their comments then feel forced because they are pressured to say something at that moment. When they’re left to themselves, what they say sounds more natural and with more feeling because they’ve built up many thoughts behind their words.
I just don’t understand why if there are obvious things that can be done to improve something, that they don’t do them. Maybe i’m just clueless when it comes to comedy.

I think the lynch pin is that comedy, like any art form, is subjective. Since the last batsu got their highest ratings ever, moreso than any batsu before it, they can only conclude they’re doing things right, even if not everyone is as keen. The show producer did say they aim to continue to improve the show, but that’ll be based on their successes so far which may not be what everyone wants, just the majority. It’s still miles better than what the majority seems to want comedy wise in my country though (faux reality tv).

Personally there are parts of the batsu that I wouldn’t mind seeing removed altogether. The round table gossip stories and the group of comedians who abuse themselves have started to really drag on for me. Jimmy Onishi’s cameos have also gotten a bit tired for me. But when we were discussing this kind of thing last year, a number of people said they love those parts and would hate seeing them go. :?:
Similarly some said they don’t want the tag game or Chono anymore, but I would love it every batsu! :devil:
People don’t mind repetition in comedy since you get things like Vine where a few second funny clip gets replayed over and over. I’m not a fan of Vine though, the improvisational skills of the Gaki crew makes it a bit different each year so it’s thankfully not just the exact same thing. :)

Even the earliest batsus were staged really. The Jack Nicholson impressionist, black sushi chef, Star Wars play, Tatu girls etc. They reacted off cuff then and they still do now with stuff like the alien etc. Their reactions seem natural still, Housei seeing that celebrity in the toilets and running back to tell everyone then forgetting who it was causing an awkward situation that got everyone laughing (and punished) :lol: If it were scripted the staged prank would of made that 1 person laugh and boom done :yawn: But the Gaki guys are unpredictable, Housei instead was silent in shock, did a little furtive peek into the empty toilet stall then ran like a scared puppy to bug everyone about it. They’re also still left to themselves, except now we get to see all 5 of them being stuck in a room together. Whether it be a pencil surreptitiously rolling in an empty drawer or a toy ("the Hamada family"), they make up their own humour. :D

Of course just my 2 pennies. There’s no right or wrong here, because it’s all subjective.

[quote="soudou":3rr6d655]the group of comedians who abuse themselves[/quote:3rr6d655]

I always have to skip that part because I don’t get that kind of humor. Really, I don’t get it.

When I saw the first batsu game with those guys I was like "What the hell is going on? What am I looking at?? Oh my god, make them stop!"

[quote="Knudow":8xrvqghx]I always have to skip that part because I don’t get that kind of humor. Really, I don’t get it.
When I saw the first batsu game with those guys I was like "What the hell is going on? What am I looking at?? Oh my god, make them stop!"[/quote:8xrvqghx]

Well I do get it. People find it entertaining to see them do ludicrous punishments to themselves, just like watching the Gaki guys get hit in the crotch repeatedly. But whilst I respect they’re well-known comedians too, the only time I really enjoy those sectons is when they drag the Gaki guys into it or get flung into them. Otherwise the Gaki cast pretty much get ignored and simply sit to the side throughout it all. If Matsumoto etc. do try to get involved usually they’re told they’re rookies and should keep out of their argument, which is not really as fun as the other setups e.g. Matsuko Deluxe etc. who really get in their faces with their antics. If there were more interaction with the cast I’d probably like it more. But that’s just me and there are people who enjoy it just the way it is.

I do…I do enjoy it. Firemen confirmed

yea, it’s subjective, but I think what I’m saying is that there is a different focus when it becomes overproduced- the focus shifts towards the skits/script rather than the member’s ability to be funny off the cuff. When production is low, the craft & skill behind comedy can emerge without all the bells and whistles to drown it out- things can simply be funny because they’re funny, not because it was orchestrated to be funny. In other words, I don’t like it when it feels like they’re trying to be funny. I’d prefer it not be funny as long as they’re realistic about it and not forced into making a fuss over something.

It would be awesome to see this year’s batsu about Firemen. I mean, they did Police and Hospital batsus, so I don’t see why they don’t do Firemen. :)

[quote="VideogameDC":20d0l2yj]It would be awesome to see this year’s batsu about Firemen. I mean, they did Police and Hospital batsus, so I don’t see why they don’t do Firemen. :)[/quote:20d0l2yj]

It’d be cool if they did an "Emergency Services" batsu. Ones like Police and Hospital were all inside for the most part. So perhaps they could be volunteers for different responce teams. Responding to a fire one moment, criminal disturbance the next then helping a person in need of medical aid. At the end the almighty culmination: Putting out a fire whilst detaining the criminals that caused it whilst giving medical aid to collapsed people inside. :rofl:

[quote="prominent":20d0l2yj]yea, it’s subjective, but I think what I’m saying is that there is a different focus when it becomes overproduced- the focus shifts towards the skits/script rather than the member’s ability to be funny off the cuff. When production is low, the craft & skill behind comedy can emerge without all the bells and whistles to drown it out- things can simply be funny because they’re funny, not because it was orchestrated to be funny. In other words, I don’t like it when it feels like they’re trying to be funny. I’d prefer it not be funny as long as they’re realistic about it and not forced into making a fuss over something.[/quote:20d0l2yj]

I personally don’t feel they’re forced since if something isn’t subjectively funny to them, they simply don’t laugh. Instead they feel free to insult the guest for being a failure (like that duo outside the lift in one batsu who were practising their comedy routine). :^)

There’s also still opportunity for simple humour too. They double up the break rooms if need be just to assure they have the free space to do what they do best, wind each other up. :lol:

However I understand it’ll feel forced if the Gaki guys reactions are interpreted as faking just to arbitrarily make things seem funny, like a magician’s stage show. Similarly some grew tired of Tanaka falling over as they felt he was faking it. Someone could argue "No! That’s him being real", but it’d be moot since noone has any authority on the subject. It’s all opinion. I don’t personally interpret it that way but I can’t tell anyone otherwise.

It kind of ties into another topic of debate, regarding the punishments they receive (compared to darts to the ass etc.). Some feel they are faking any pain they get from being hit. Especially if they can’t help still laughing in a fit of giggles whilst being hit. People in Japan ask them "Does it really hurt?", and their answer is "Of course it does" :rofl:

I always have to skip through most of the bus ride, Chono slap, Onishi, ect. I’m not saying it ain’t funny, but it just ain’t my thing. If they would shorten that insane 6 hour length, they wouldn’t need to fill in the time with so many recurring gags. When you look at the first two No Laughing games, Hotspring and Yugawara, they were pretty much the same theme, yet uniquely different from one another.

Honestly, I would rather just watch them sit at a table for 6 hours straight. It’s at that time that their comedic genius and chemistry really shows, and it reminds me why I love watching these guys.

In the high school and hospital games, they used "hard" sticks to hit them, and they made a loud sound. Those ones should hurt.

The newer ones are more flexible and they don’t sound that much, so I think they don’t really hurt too much.

I’d like to see Jimmy go. The newer skits where they make him talk about politics and things like that aren’t as funny as the old ones.

And I’d like Chouno to switch targets or at least make some kind of twist before choosing Housei. It was really great when the second time they used Chouno, Tanaka was the one with something in his pocket, but then they brought the child that crashed into Housei and made him the target again. With Tanaka and the yearly thai kick you always think "Oh, man, I wonder how they introduce they thai kick this year!" (like the awesome thing with the childs writting letters), but with Chouno and Housei is always the same.

Whatever the theme is this year, we already know what will happen. :D
Bus ride, Tanaka thai kick, Jimmy, Chono slap, old SM perverts degusting smelly annoying men, the round table, don’t be affraid.
Insert random guest and skirts.
They mostly don’t even do thing related to the theme anymore. :fubar:

But doesn’t matters, i still will watch it thousand times. :emo:

[quote="jm1":11olvzfl]
Honestly, I would rather just watch them sit at a table for 6 hours straight. It’s at that time that their comedic genius and chemistry really shows, and it reminds me why I love watching these guys.[/quote:11olvzfl]
Me too. I think they must feel obligated to do more though.

[quote="soudou":11olvzfl]I personally don’t feel they’re forced since if something isn’t subjectively funny to them, they simply don’t laugh. Instead they feel free to insult the guest for being a failure (like that duo outside the lift in one batsu who were practising their comedy routine). :^) [/quote:11olvzfl]
They’re forced to react because they cram so much in that there’s less time for them to just be themselves. they have to say stuff in a timely manner or else they move onto something else. They go through the motions because they have to follow the way everything is staged. It’s not entirely like this, but the way it is structured promotes this. When everything is fabricated and all they can do is respond to the fabrication, how can you sound real? In the original batsu games they acted like themselves and didn’t try to play a part like they do now with hospital nurses, or earth defenders… how are you suppose to relate with the odd situations? there’s less depth/substance to it. This is my opinion. I don’t know why I bother saying this, it’s not that important.

[quote:2iqmh5dk]They’re forced to react because they cram so much in that there’s less time for them to just be themselves. they have to say stuff in a timely manner or else they move onto something else.[/quote:2iqmh5dk]

For me that’s the great thing with improvisational comedy though and really shows how skilled they are as comedians. Other than the amazing cast of Whose Line Is It Anyway, there’s no-one like the Gaki guys in the entire world of comedy when it comes to doing stuff on the fly. Other comedians tend to want to prepare themselves first, but the Gaki guys seem to thrive on being thrown into ridiculous situations to demonstrate their skills in quick wit :inlove:

[quote:2iqmh5dk]They go through the motions because they have to follow the way everything is staged. It’s not entirely like this, but the way it is structured promotes this. When everything is fabricated and all they can do is respond to the fabrication, how can you sound real?[/quote:2iqmh5dk]

I felt even the older batsus had every hour planned by the staff and forced them to move to e.g. the bath area, the dining hall, the stage, the bathroom etc. to be presented with some fabricated setup to react to (e.g. parakeet priest portrait). In their ‘break room’ (onsen hotel room) they also wheeled in and out different rehearsed people for them to react to. There were gaps of course where they just sat and made each other laugh, thankfully they still give them downtime to do so.

[quote:2iqmh5dk]In the original batsu games they acted like themselves and didn’t try to play a part like they do now with hospital nurses, or earth defenders… how are you suppose to relate with the odd situations? there’s less depth/substance to it. [/quote:2iqmh5dk]

Despite the job roles I think they still act like themselves. For some thats a drawback because as andylau-fr said they don’t really make full use of each theme. But on the flipside the job themes can be seen as simply a backdrop to watching the Gaki guys demonstrate their improvisational skills and interactions with each other as they’re brought together by the environment they’re in.

I couldn’t relate to some of the odd situations in the early batsus either like the cultural aspect of the black sushi chef but I could relate to Housei getting fits of giggles at something he personally perceived as odd. Plus I don’t mind randomness in comedy having grown up on Monty Python ("Look out! Cow!") and the silly music of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band ("Noo! Not the legs!"). But again that’s just me, I personally know people who aren’t into that style and don’t find them very funny, which is fair enough. I tried showing someone a clip of Housei on a talk show jumping off stage and doing random stuff that I found hilarious, they sat in silence and asked "Why?". :?:

[quote:2iqmh5dk]This is my opinion. I don’t know why I bother saying this, it’s not that important.[/quote:2iqmh5dk]

Everyones opinion is no more or less important than the other. It’d be boring if everyone on earth thought the same. Don’t worry, that’s what a forum is for, debate. It keeps things alive. I am enjoying discussing with you. :)

[quote="Knudow":2iqmh5dk]In the high school and hospital games, they used "hard" sticks to hit them, and they made a loud sound. Those ones should hurt. The newer ones are more flexible and they don’t sound that much, so I think they don’t really hurt too much.[/quote:2iqmh5dk]

I think it’s not as much of an instantaneous excruciating pain, unless they strike bare skin as Housei experienced :rofl: But it’s gotta sting and likely builds up over time which is incentive enough not to up their hit counter. The more they’re hit the more they feel it. Matsumoto always gets hit the most and suffered hemorrhoids from the build up.

[quote:2iqmh5dk]And I’d like Chouno to switch targets or at least make some kind of twist before choosing Housei. It was really great when the second time they used Chouno, Tanaka was the one with something in his pocket, but then they brought the child that crashed into Housei and made him the target again. With Tanaka and the yearly thai kick you always think "Oh, man, I wonder how they introduce they thai kick this year!" (like the awesome thing with the childs writting letters), but with Chouno and Housei is always the same.[/quote:2iqmh5dk]

I agree they really do need to change up how Chono enters the scene. When you see the Gaki guys being brought to an assembly with a stage you know there’s a high chance Chono will turn up… They are starting to switch it up of course with him coming on the bus or picking on others first. I hope they go even further in that direction.

I think Housei’s been more vocal this year in interviews and talk shows about how much Chono’s slap affects his health and his desire for change. Kinda like Moriman and his pleads against the use of bamboo roots, the production staff will probably ignore him at first though :lol: But after posting [url=http://yamasakigifs.tumblr.com/post/70912307361/interview-with-tsukitei-hosei-on-the-chono-face:2iqmh5dk]Housei’s interview[/url:2iqmh5dk] I did chat with someone about ideas.

[quote:2iqmh5dk]
What I’d really love though, if they had to stop the slap, is if they twisted it to be something else where he’s confronted with Chono in random places. Like being forced to assist Chono with different things and getting yelled at for doing everything wrong (in Chonos eyes). Because really its not so much the slap I love, but all the comedic bullying and Housei’s attempts to get away from Chono.

Imagine if Chono one year just said "I’ve hit you every year and as a man of fair sportsmanship, I think I should let you take a swipe, come on hit me". Housei would just be confused and wary. But Chono would keep hassling him to do it and not letting him get away. Then if he slapped him it’d probably be super weak and Chono would get pissed off and say "DON’T MOCK ME!" and yell at him to take it seriously. Then when he does slap him hard he’s like "OIII!" and totally flips out at him with wrestling moves! :devil:
[/quote:2iqmh5dk]

What if, after all the "Don’t hit me, please!" by Housei, Chouno says: "Ok, I’ll spare you this time!"

Then he gets all happy, the batsu game keeps going and then one hour later Chouno comes again and this time he doesn’t forgive him! xD

[quote="Knudow":x8sppiii]What if, after all the "Don’t hit me, please!" by Housei, Chouno says: "Ok, I’ll spare you this time!"
Then he gets all happy, the batsu game keeps going and then one hour later Chouno comes again and this time he doesn’t forgive him! xD[/quote:x8sppiii]

Ooh that’d be great. Even better if he did it right on the bus at the start and says "I’ll give you a chance to redeem yourself". Then throughout the whole batsu he just keeps randomnly appearing in different places to briefly "test" him. Until finally Chono snaps at his incompetence. :rofl:

They should play with the cast’s minds more often.

For example, make Chouno bring them lunch. They’d get all anxious thinking that there’s a slap coming, but then Chouno says "Well, bon appetit" and just leaves.

Or make the "out" horn sound when no-one is laughing, and when they are all quiet wondering who is out, the voice’d say something like "Oh, sorry, my mistake". And then all of them would laugh at that.

Ok, with all that said, I’m gonna hire [b:1dr0y8x0]Knudow[/b:1dr0y8x0] to write the next Batsu Game :clap: :clap: :clap:

[quote="Knudow":204oiczq]They should play with the cast’s minds more often.[/quote:204oiczq]

I liked the bit in that recent Don’t Get Scared where they were just in a dark room making themselves scared at nothing. It wasn’t really utilized that well to be honest but they could do so much more based around that concept. Especially if they got rid of that section of "stage acts that are so bad they’re scary"…

[quote:204oiczq]For example, make Chouno bring them lunch. They’d get all anxious thinking that there’s a slap coming, but then Chouno says "Well, bon appetit" and just leaves.[/quote:204oiczq]

Then he comes back later and says "I heard you dissed my cooking!" :@

[quote:204oiczq]Or make the "out" horn sound when no-one is laughing, and when they are all quiet wondering who is out, the voice’d say something like "Oh, sorry, my mistake". And then all of them would laugh at that.[/quote:204oiczq]

Heh its always funny when they laugh at eager punishers accidentally running in without any Out announcement. Or when they just run straight into the break room instead of to wherever the incident occurred. Then of course there was that epic moment where Housei was the only one in the room whilst the others got called Out in the toilets, resulting in him receiving their punishment accidentally. :rofl: